AAPC CPC Training
The Registered Medical Coding (RMC) certification course is also designed and approved to prepare you for the Certified Professional Coder (CPC) certification exam through the AAPC. While the CPC exam is not included, you will receive a letter of recommendation to submit to the AAPC upon completion of the course, as well as a considerable discount on their membership.
Who is the AAPC CPC training for?
The coding training for the CPC is specifically geared toward people who are currently in the medical field and who want to advance their career in healthcare. Many people who are already in a coding position and want to prove their knowledge and have their certification also take this course. Many people take this training through MMI because our online learning system is easy to use and the course has the gold standard in content. It is important that you have a background and knowledge in anatomy and medical terminology before pursuing a medical coding certification.
The healthcare industry is currently in high demand for more experienced medical coders, and with the competitive job market, it is important to become certified. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, jobs for certified medical coders will increase 22% through the year 2022.
The AAPC CPC training program is designed to prepare students to test for the Certified Professional Coder (CPC) certification exam through the AAPC. The CPC® certification validates proficiency in the correct application of CPT®, HCPCS Level II procedure and supply codes, as well as the ICD-10-CM diagnosis codes used for coding and billing for medical claims in a physician’s office.
Certified CPCs have demonstrated:
- Expertise in reviewing and assigning accurate medical codes for diagnoses, procedures, and services performed by physicians and other qualified healthcare providers in the office or facility setting (e.g. inpatient hospital)
- Proficiency across a wide range of services, including evaluation and management (E&M), anesthesia, surgery, radiology, pathology, and medicine
- A sound knowledge of medical coding guidelines and regulations including compliance and reimbursement, thereby allowing a CPC to better handle issues such as medical necessity, claims denials, bundling issues, and charge capture
- Understanding of how to integrate medical coding and payment policy changes into a practice’s reimbursement processes
- Knowledge of anatomy, physiology, and medical terminology necessary to correctly code provider diagnosis and services
While the AAPC CPC training program is available in an interactive or self-paced training environment, both versions of the training are available online and cover the following content:
- Introduction to medical coding systems, healthcare delivery, and other revenue cycle functions within the healthcare arena
- Introduction and overview of ICD-10-CM (Diagnosis) in comparison to ICD-9
- ICD-10-CM coding guidelines and conventions
- General CPT® (Procedural) coding overview, guidelines, and conventions
- CPT® Evaluation & Management (E&M)
- CPT® modifiers
- In-depth look at each CPT® code range
- HCPCS coding system (emphasis on Level II)
- Federal healthcare regulations, laws and sentencing guidelines, audits, and compliance in revenue cycle
- Medicare rules and regulations
- OIG compliance and work plan
- Simulated CPC® prep exam (unlimited attempts)
The CPC® training program was created by MMI’s team of seasoned and certified instructors. Instructor support is available throughout the training via email/phone.
In order to succeed in the AAPC CPC training program, you must have these books available to reference:
- CPT® Professional Edition (current year), AMA Publisher
- ICD-10-CM Expert for Physicians (current year)
- HCPCS Level II (current year)
These textbooks are not included but are available to purchase through MMI at a discounted rate when enrolling in the program.
At MMI, we want to make sure that you have a successful learning experience, which is why in order to sign up for our AAPC CPC training program, you must have previously completed a minimum of ten hours of training related to Anatomy & Terminology. The documentation of completion can be submitted via email to email@example.com or faxed to 678-669-2483, ATTN: Enrollment Department.
If you currently need the ten hours of training related to Anatomy & Terminology, a course is available to purchase through MMI at a discounted rate when enrolling in the program.
Online Training Format
The AAPC CPC training program is administered completely online through MMI’s password-protected, user-friendly learning platform. The training is available in two formats, nteractive or self-paced, both of which are available online and cover the same training content.
Self-Paced: The self-paced version is ideal for students who prefer an independent training environment, preferably with an existing background in medical coding and/or billing. This version of the training is completely online and goes at your own speed, and you are given up to six months to access the training. This version of the program consists of online reading material, practice exams, and instructor support via email/phone. Upon enrolling in the program, you will be given access to the password-protected learning site to begin training at your convenience.
Interactive: The interactive version is ideal for students who are new to medical coding and/or billing, as well as those who prefer a fast-paced, instructor-led training environment. The interactive version of the training is 12 weeks long, instructor-led, and completely online. This version of the program simulates a live training environment through weekly webinars with the instructor, during which you are able to discuss the homework assignments live with your assigned instructor and classmates. This training consists of online reading material and practice exams as well as pre-recorded training videos and online group discussion boards for additional interaction and engagement. Along with the webinars, which are recorded in case you are unable to attend, instructor support is also available via email and phone. Upon enrolling in the program, you will be given access to the password-protected learning site to begin training on the assigned start date (generally, a start date occurs on the first Monday of each month).
General Online Training Format
With both versions of the training, enrolling in the program will create a personal account that will allow you to begin training online. The platform includes group discussion, engaging reading material, and interactive learning tools consisting of practice exams and e-flashcards to test your knowledge and progress throughout. Additionally, this training includes instructor support via email/phone, so you will have access to MMI’s network of certified instruction staff throughout your studies.
Upon completion of the training program, you will be given access to the CPC® prep exam, proctored online through MMI’s learning platform. The results will be available immediately upon submitting the exam. Upon successful completion of the exam, you will be issued a certificate of completion and a letter of recommendation to submit to the AAPC during the exam application process. You will receive a discount on the AAPC membership for going through our training program, not to mention a membership to the Medical Management Institute which includes the benefits of an MMI membership for one year.
Payment Plan & Group Rates
Interest-free payment plan options are available through MMI and PayPal.
Payment Plan through PayPal:
If you would like to set up a payment plan through PayPal, you can do so at the check-out page by following the instructions below:
- Select the “Checkout with PayPal” button after placing training in cart
- Log in with your PayPal account (or create a new one)
- Select the “Apply Now” button at the bottom of the page
Payment Plan through MMI:
Contact an MMI representative to set up an interest-free payment plan option through the Medical Management Institute. Typically, a down payment of $250 is required and the remaining balance is paid off over five months (processed on the 15th of each month following).
Discounted rates are available upon request for groups of three or more. Contact us to get started.