Medical Coding Refresher Course
The Medical Coding Refresher Course is tailored for three different types of people:
1. Someone who was a certified coder, but has let their certification lapse and needs a quick update before recertifying
2. Someone who has been in medical coding and has a lot of experience, but wants to make sure they understand the material before the get certified
3. Someone who already has a certification, but wants to change to a new credentialing body and get their RMC
How does it work?
When purchasing the refresher course, you will be given access to high level content that will make sure you understand the knowledge and skills to take the credentialing exam. This is a self-paced course that is structured so you have the control to focus on certain topics within coding that you feel you need more work on. If you have any questions along the way, you will be able to contact an instructor for help. After you are done with studying, you will have unlimited attempts at the practice exam as well as two attempts at the RMC (Registered Medical Coder) exam that is conducted online and included in the course. Once you pass the exam, you will officially be a credentialed coder with the Medical Management Institute and receive your RMC certificate.
- Coding conventions when assigning ICD-10-CM (diagnoses), CPT®, and HCPCS II (procedure) codes
- Each section of the CPT® manual with an emphasis on terminology, modifier usage, coding guidelines, and coding practice
- Evaluation & Management (E&M) coding with a detailed focus on levels of service
- Additional guidance, updates, and learning tools on how to apply the ICD-10-CM coding guidelines (officially implemented October 2015)
- HCPCS Level II with an emphasis on temporary national codes, supplies and DME, and modifiers, as well as services that are routine, non-covered, or not medically necessary
- An overview of the Medicare Program with additional training on special CMS coding rules, billing rules, modifiers, and the National Correct Coding Initiative
While the RMC Training & Certification Program is available in an interactive or self-paced training environment, both versions of the training are available online and cover the following content:
- Introduction to medical coding systems, healthcare delivery, and other revenue cycle functions within the healthcare arena
- Introduction and overview of ICD-10-CM (Diagnosis) in comparison to ICD-9
- ICD-10-CM coding guidelines and conventions
- General CPT® (Procedural) coding overview, guidelines, and conventions
- CPT® Evaluation & Management (E&M)
- CPT® Modifier
- In-depth look at each CPT® code range
- HCPCS coding system (emphasis on Level II)
- Federal healthcare regulations, laws and sentencing guidelines, audits, and compliance in revenue cycle
- Medicare rules and regulations
- OIG compliance and OIG work plan
- Simulated practice exam (unlimited attempts)
- RMC certification exam (two attempts)
About the Instructor
Medical Coding Certification Book Requirement
- CPT® Professional Edition (current year), AMA Publisher
- ICD-10-CM Expert for Physicians (current year)
- HCPCS Level II (current year)
These textbooks are not included but are available to purchase through MMI at a discounted rate when enrolling in the program.
Online Training Format
General Online Training Format
With the training, you will have an account created upon enrolling in the program, which will allow you to begin training online. The platform includes group discussion, engaging reading material, and interactive learning tools consisting of practice exams and e-flashcards to test your knowledge and progress throughout. Additionally, this training includes instructor support via email/phone, so you will have access to MMI’s network of certified instruction staff throughout your studies.
Upon completion of the training program, you will be given access to the RMC certification exam, proctored online through MMI’s learning platform. The results will be available immediately upon submitting the exam. Upon successful completion of the exam, you will officially be a Registered Medical Coder and member of the Medical Management Institute. We will mail you the RMC certificate and membership card, and you will receive the benefits of an MMI membership for one year.