Self-Paced Medical Coding Certification
This self-paced medical coding course is ideal for those who work best at their own pace. Though the modules are self-guided, there are instructors standing by to answers questions via phone or email in case you need help or clarification.
Who is this Self-Paced Medical Coding Certification for?
The RMC is specifically geared toward people who are currently in the medical field and want to advance their career in healthcare. Many people who are already in a coding position and want to prove their knowledge by having a certification also take this course. It is important that you have a background and knowledge in anatomy and medical terminology before pursuing a medical coding certification. Getting an RMC certification will give you opportunities to move up in your career and make you more marketable to current and potential employers.
What is the Registered Medical Coder (RMC) Credential?
The RMC is a nationally recognized outpatient medical coding credential and issued by the Association of Registered Healthcare Professionals (ARHCP). The RMC is authorized through the Georgia Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission (GNPEC). Like any other outpatient coding credential, the RMC guarantees you will be well prepared to be successful in your coding job and proves to your employer that you have advanced coding knowledge and stay up to date on all yearly coding changes. Unlike other coding credentials, the RMC requires an annual update exam on the current year’s coding changes (also administered online and included in the annual renewal fee) in order to ensure that you stay up to date on all coding changes.
- Coding conventions when assigning ICD-10-CM (diagnoses), CPT®, and HCPCS II (procedure) codes
- Each section of the CPT® manual with an emphasis on terminology, modifier usage, coding guidelines, and coding practice
- Evaluation & Management (E&M) with a detailed focus on levels of service
- Additional guidance, updates, and learning tools on how to apply the ICD-10-CM coding guidelines (officially implemented October 2015)
- HCPCS Level II with an emphasis on temporary national codes, supplies and DME, and modifiers, as well as services that are routine, non-covered, or not medically necessary.
- An overview of the Medicare Program with additional training on special CMS coding rules, billing rules, modifiers, and the National Correct Coding Initiative
The Self-Paced RMC Training & Certification Program covers the following content:
- Introduction to medical coding systems, healthcare delivery, and other revenue cycle functions within the healthcare arena
- Introduction and overview of ICD-10-CM (Diagnosis) in comparison to ICD-9
- ICD-10-CM coding guidelines and conventions
- General CPT® (Procedural) coding overview, guidelines, and conventions
- CPT® Evaluation & Management (E&M)
- CPT® Modifier
- In-depth look at each CPT® code range
- HCPCS coding system (emphasis on Level II)
- Federal healthcare regulations, laws and sentencing guidelines, audits, and compliance in revenue cycle
- Medicare rules and regulations
- OIG compliance and OIG work plan
- Simulated practice exam (unlimited attempts)
- RMC certification exam (two attempts)
About the Instructor
The interactive version of the training is led through live webinars each week by MMI’s Chief Training Officer, Ms. Dari Bonner, RMC. Ms. Bonner has more than 22 years of healthcare consulting and project management experience, with areas of expertise in both the public and private sector, hospitals, outpatient service centers, and large and small physician practices.
Medical Coding Certification Book Requirement
- CPT® Professional Edition (current year), AMA Publisher
- ICD-10-CM Expert for Physicians (current year)
- HCPCS Level II (current year)
These textbooks are not included but are available to purchase through MMI at a discounted rate when enrolling in the program.
If you currently need the ten hours of training related to Anatomy & Terminology, the Anatomy & Terminology course is available to purchase through MMI at a discounted rate when enrolling in the program.
Online Training Format
The training is available in either an online interactive or online self-paced environment, both of which cover the same training content.
Self-Paced: The self-paced medical coding course is ideal for students who prefer an independent training environment that is completely online and goes at their own speed. You are given up to six months to access the modules, which consist of online reading material, practice exams, and instructor support via email/phone. Upon enrolling in the program, you will be given access to the password-protected learning site to begin training at your convenience.
Note: it is highly recommended that students have an existing background in coding or billing before enrolling in the self-paced medical coding course.
General Online Training Format
With either version, enrolling in the program will create an account that will allow you to begin training online. The platform includes group discussion, engaging reading material, and interactive learning tools consisting of practice exams and e-flashcards to test your knowledge and progress throughout. Additionally, this training includes instructor support via email/phone, so you will have access to MMI’s network of certified instruction staff throughout your studies.
Upon completion of the training program, you will be given access to the RMC certification exam, proctored online through MMI’s learning platform. The results will be available immediately upon submitting the exam. Upon successful completion of the exam, you will officially be a Registered Medical Coder and member of the Medical Management Institute. We will mail you the RMC certificate and membership card, and you will receive the benefits of an MMI membership for one year.
Payment Plan & Group Rates
Interest-free payment plan options are available through MMI & PayPal.
Payment Plan through PayPal:
If you would like to set up a payment plan through Paypal, you can do so at the checkout page by following the instructions below:
- Select the “Checkout with PayPal” button after placing training in cart
- Log in with your PayPal account (or create a new one)
- Select the “Apply Now” button at the bottom of the page
Payment Plan through MMI:
Contact an MMI representative to set up an interest-free payment plan through the Medical Management Institute. Typically, a down payment of $350 is required and the remaining balance is paid off over six months.
Discounted rates are available upon request for groups of three or more. Contact us to get started.